I wanted to take a minute to write about a topic that is very important to us. We have become avid recyclers since moving into this house and after Mason was born. We have been making a concerted effort to "go green" based upon a fear that we have for future generations and how life will be like for them if we continue to waste our precious resources and pollute the environment. Plus, we really want to teach our children how precious and beautiful our environment is and how to take steps to preserve it.
We are so excited that our township will institute a state of the art recycling program in April 2009. Currently we are able to recycle glass, aluminum and plastics 1 and 2. Even with the limited program we have now, we still somehow find a way to fill up our bin every week (mainly with Mason's tube feed cans). With the new program coming up we will be able to recycle all plastics 1-7, glass, aluminum, paper, junk mail, magazines, cardboard, plastic bags, etc. Travis and I estimated that 90% of our trash will be recycled with this new program. Take for example a yogurt container, we will be able to recycle all of it now! We are so excited about it! I think our family looks at us like we are crazy...yes, we are this excited about a recycling program. We literally can't wait!
We are going to start some other green projects around the house as well. All the new paint we buy has been VOC free and we have been slowly making the switch to natural cleaners, etc. We are also investigating steam cleaners that steralize and clean without the use of harmful chemicals. This spring/summer, we are going to install a rain barrel to catch the downspout water for watering our garden and plants.
Feel free to comment with your own "go green" tips and links!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Scott's family thinks I'm crazy too about recycling! Now before they throw anything away at my house they ask if it can be recycled :) Good work on going green!
OMG!! Just this week I made a whole batch of natural cleaners!! They work great although I am still in the experimental stage!! I'll have to call you with the recipes!!
The Bakers
Great job with all the recycling! We wish we could recycle more of our garbage but our city doesn't do much. We've been using Allen's natural laundry detergent for Austin's cloth diapers and started using it for all our laundry because it's biodegradable and good for sensitive skin. We also use Nature's Source cleaners at home but I've heard that a mix of vinegar and water is the best natural all purpose cleaner. Good luck with the green living!
Bethie
Way to go with the green! I have thought about all of this too! It is great that your township has set up a program that helps encourage recycling too! Have you ever heard of Melaleuca products? They are supposed to be all natural and "green" based from tea tree oil. That is something we are looking into. Thanks for sharing!
Tori
Post a Comment